Creamy Keto Tomato Soup
You will need
- 300g Tomatoes
- 4 Rashers of bacon diced
- 50g Onion
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 300ml Chicken stock
- 100ml heavy cream
- 50g Salted Butter (I love Kerrygold)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt to Taste
- Pinch of sweetener
Nutrition per serving
Winter evenings + Creamy Keto Tomato Soup + Netflix = bliss! Or so I like to think 😝. For the longest time on keto I feared vegetables like onions and tomatoes because they have carbs in them. As a result, I missed out on lots of tasty and comforting things such as soups. I simply wasn’t prepared to sacrifice 8g of my 20g daily carb intake on soup! Fast-forward a year living the keto life and I am more than ok with using my carbs on nutritious and tasty carbs 😀.
Speaking of tasty, this soup is just that. It’s creamy and has a slight hint of spice from the pepper and chilli. Each serving has 5g net carbs and 300 calories. Lastly, add in a slice or two of almond loaf bread and you have yourself a delicious and comforting winter dinner.
- Firstly, heat the butter in a saucepan and once it has melted add in the chopped bacon. Cook until done.
- Next, add in the onions and garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook the onions on a low heat until nice and caramelised. (the salt helps with the browning).
- Then, once the onions, garlic and bacon mixture is browned add in the tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes of cooking add in the pepper, dried chilli flakes and oregano. Also add in about 250ml of chicken stock (1 cup).
- Next, cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes till the tomatoes are completely soft. Keep opening the lid every 2-3 minutes and stirring to ensure nothing sticks.
- Then, once it’s cooked add the heavy cream and then blend the mixture in a food processor or using an immersion blender. Add more stock if needed to make it easier to blend.
- Lastly, top with some creme fraiche. Enjoy!
This recipe contains 3 servings and is 5g net carbs per bowl!