Hearty Keto Cottage Pie
You will need
- 1 turnip (weighing 400g approx)
- Knob of butter
- Splash of heavy cream
- White pepper
Cottage Pie Filling
- 1kg Minced Beef
- 1 onion
- 2 small carrots
- 1 beef stock cube (makes 1 cup of beef broth)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce (definitely the secret ingredient here)
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 tsp thyme
- knob of butter for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Nutrition per serving
I adore Cottage Pie! It is hearty comfort food and served in my house at least once a week. A classic cottage pie has a minced beef and veg base and is topped with creamy mashed potato. This keto version is however topped with Turnips and is every bit as delicious!
Also, don’t panic if turnips aren’t your thing, top it however you like. In fact, here are some low carb suggestions
- Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato
- Mashed Carrot and Turnip
- Boil the turnip until tender, this usually takes around 25-30 minutes.
- Next, mash the turnip and return to the heat.
- Add in the butter and allow to melt.
- Next add in the cream, nutmeg, white pepper and generous amount of salt.
- Whisk until nice and creamy, set aside.
Cottage Pie Mix
- Firstly start off by gently frying the carrots and onions in butter with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Once the onions have become soft and translucent (10 minutes usually) add in the mince.
- Allow the mince to cook until browned and then add the worcestershire and tomato paste.
- Crumble in the beef stock cube (I use oxo) and stir to mix everything together.
- Leave simmering gently for around 10 minutes and check to see if you need to add any water to the mix. (I added about 100mls in total as I wanted the mixture to hold firm so as that I can cut it)
- After another 10 minutes check the mixture for seasoning and remove from the pot and place in a casserole dish.
- Top the cottage pie mix with the cooled turnip.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180C or 350F until piping hot and crispy.
This delicious dinner is so hearty you won’t need to serve it with anything else!
I get 5 big portions from this recipe 🐽🐽🐽