Instant Keto Pasta
You will need
(For 1 Serving of Instant Keto Pasta)
- 1 Cup grated Mozzarella (about 113g)
- 1 egg yolk
Nutrition per serving
I came across this Instant Keto Pasta recipe a while back and was unsure if I could be bothered making it. Mostly because it’s made of just egg and cheese and so I expected it to be abundantly eggy and cheesy 🤷. I’m not the biggest cheese fan nor egg fan for that matter but surprisingly enough, once this ‘pasta’ was draped in hearty Bolognese, you could barely tell the difference between it and regular pasta!
Obviously this does not taste like normal pasta on its own but it does have a similar texture and appearance. It isn’t as pliable as pasta and can’t twirl around your fork without breaking (it’s just cheese and eggs after all). Once cooked and covered in sauce it can easily be passed off as actual pasta except that it is tremendously low in carbs and keto friendly 😯
It is what it is and I recommend everyone give it a go and see what you think. I’m not the biggest zoodles fan as I find them too watery and so I find this Instant Keto Pasta the best vehicle to soak up my bolognese!
- Don’t use salted water to cook the pasta as mozzarella is already salty.
- Make sure to use pre-shredded mozzarella instead of shredding it yourself. Store bought shredded mozzarella is less moist that mozzarella bought by the block and it will hold better.
- Make sure to let the pasta completely dry up before cooking. Have the water fully boiling before dipping the cheese pasta very quickly.
- Ensure to run the ‘pasta’ under cold water to stop it form sticking together!
- Firstly, add the grated mozzarella to a bowl and melt in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Allow to cool down for 30 seconds to avoid “cooking” the egg yolk when mixing.
- Next, gently fold the egg yolk into the melted mozzarella. Here you want a smooth, slightly elastic texture. Form a ball with the mixture.
- Then, arrange the ball onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and press down with your hand until thin.
- Remove the top parchment paper and cut the dough into thin strips with a sharp knife. Let dry the pasta in the refrigerator for four hours or overnight.
- Then, Boil the “instant keto pasta” for just 30-40 sec and drain.
- Run cold water over the pasta to prevent sticking.
- Lastly serve with your favourite sauce and toppings!
Each serving is 3g of carbs!