Keto Chicken Kiev
You will need
- 2 chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
- 1 oz or 30g of shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- white pepper
Nutrition per serving
Chicken, garlic, butter, breadcrumbs….. WHO WOULD’NT LIKE THAT. I have always loved a good chicken kiev, which is actually Russian apparently and not Ukrainian as you would expect it to be 🤷. It is crispy, oozing with melted garlic buttery goodness and a very filling dinner. The good news is that it’s totally keto friendly once you change a few ingredients.
I use coconut flour to seal the chicken and then I use an egg wash and some seasoned shredded coconut to coat it. The shredded coconut reminds me of panko which Ina Garten loves and if it’s good enough for her then you know how it goes. The kievs comes out lovely and crispy with the coconut and has only a mild taste coconut (the turmeric also helps with this). If you hate coconut you can always sub it with ground almonds or pork rinds.
I served the keto chicken kiev on a bed of rocket leaves (arugula) with some creamy coleslaw on the side for a perfect high fat, low carb dinner!
Hope you give it a go 😀
- Firstly preheat your oven to 350F or 175C and start to pound your chicken breasts until they’re quite thin- about 1/2 – 1 centimetre thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Next mash together the butter, garlic and parsley and spoon it into the middle of the flattened chicken breasts.
- Then, roll the chicken up and secure with tooth picks (remember to take them out before serving)
- Prepare your dredging station by adding some coconut flour to a shallow bowl, a beaten egg to another and your shredded coconut to a third. Add the turmeric to the shredded coconut for colour!
- Next, coat your chicken in the coconut flour first, sealing all sides, then dipping into your beaten egg and finally coating it fully in the shredded coconut.
- Place your chicken in the fridge for about 30 minutes to chill and hold it’s shape.
- Fry the keto chicken kievs on all sides in a well oiled pan until golden brown.
- Lastly place the chicken breasts on a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes in your preheated oven. Baste the kievs in any of the garlic butter that has seeped out.
Serve with a salad and some coleslaw!
This recipe is for 2 big portions!