Keto Chicken Pot Pie
You will need
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 500g of chicken thighs, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 ounces onion (about 50g)
- ¼ cup carrots, finely diced
- ½ cup of celery
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
1 batch of pastry (omit the vanilla)
Nutrition per serving
Everyone loves chicken pie and this Keto Chicken Pot Pie is as close to the real deal as you will find. The entire pie has 22g of carbs and I like to cut mine into 5 wedges, or you could make 5 individual pies each coming in at 4.4g of carbs🔥 Also, NO FANCY OR WEIRD ingredients were used in my pie 😝.
The pastry or pie crust I use is the one from my Lemon Curd Tart, and I just left out the vanilla because chicken and vanilla is not 🔥. Simply cook the chicken and veg until it’s a nice pie filling consistency and top it with the dough!
You could amp things up and add in mushrooms or some bacon, perhaps even a dash of tarragon 😱
Give it a go!
- Firstly melt the butter in a large pan and add the diced chicken thighs.
- Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until chicken begins to brown on all sides (about 5 minutes).
- Then, add the onion, celery and carrots. Turn heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to colour. Stir in garlic, dried thyme and xanthan gum.
- Next, stir in the chicken broth.
- Turn the heat to medium and simmer for around 15-20 minutes.
- Once the liquid has thickened, add the heavy cream and frozen peas. Simmer until thickened.
- Then season with salt and white pepper.
- Place the mixture in a deep bottomed pie dish.
- Top with the pastry and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F or 175C.
*For a classic burnished hue, egg wash the pie before baking.
Cut this Keto Chicken Pot Pie into 5 big wedges!