Keto Lemon Tart
You will need
For the Pastry
- 140g or 1.4 cup ground almonds/almond flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp sweetener (i blended mine to make it powdered)
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar (you won’t taste this)
- 115g or 1/2 cup of butter chilled
- 55g cream cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vanilla
For the Lemon Curd
- 6 egg yolks
- 115g butter or 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sweetener
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon zest
- zest of all the lemons you use (roughly 4)
- Pinch of salt
Nutrition per serving
Since it was Easter this weekend and I didn’t want to break keto (holidays in 5 weeks), I decided to make something ‘fancy’ but not too difficult or time consuming! Chocolate was the easiest option but I actually much prefer the taste of lemon in desserts and bakes than chocolate. This Keto Lemon Tart is wonderfully tart with lemon and also just the right amount of sweet. It’s not a baked tart but is assembled together and then sits in the fridge chilling until you’re ready to dive in 😊
The shortcrust pastry tastes exactly like shortcrust pastry I shit you not. I was actually shocked at the texture and flakiness of it and also how well it held together…as we all know keto pastry is difficult to work with because IT’S NOT REALLY PASTRY 🤣🤣🤣. The addition of the xanthan gum and the vinegar definitely helped with the texture and chilling this in the fridge as long as possible is a must!
Hope you give it a try
For the Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- Firstly, in a mixer with a dough hook add all the dry ingredients and the butter. Allow the butter to become like peas in size.
- Then add in the liquids and pulse to form a dough.
- Next, chill the dough for min an hour but longer if you have time.
- Egg wash before baking at 390F or 200C for 25-30 minutes.
- Blind bake the pastry for the first 12 minutes (with baking beans to stop it rising) and remove the beans and further cook for another 12-15 mins.
- Then, as it will be filled with the cooled lemon curd, the pastry needs to be chilled for an hour so as to not curdle the curd.
- When the curd and pastry are cool, whip the heavy cream and slowly incorporate your lemon curd. Spread out into the pastry case and allow to slightly ‘set’ in the fridge until you’re ready to eat!
For the Lemon Curd 🍋
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Remove from heat and whisk in sweetener, lemon juice, and lemon zest until dissolved. Whisk in the egg yolks and return to the stove over low heat. Whisk continually until the curd starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and strain into a small bowl.
- Let cool to room temperature, then cover with cling film to stop a skin forming.
This Keto Lemon Tart makes 10 slices!