You will need
- 145g or 1.5 cups of almond flour
- 50g or 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 125g or just over 1/2 cup of granular sweetener
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 80g butter at room temperature
For the Filling
- 1 stick or 115g butter, softened
- 3/4 c or 125g powdered sweetener (pulse it in the blender if using granular)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Nutrition per serving
Splitting them in half and dunking them in ice cold milk. Jeeeez I love Oreos 💗. A few weeks ago I came across a keto Oreo recipe on a massive keto website and I decided to try and make my own version. Now, as I mentioned, I fricken hate when a recipe requires really obscure ingredients like agar agar or in this case ‘black cocoa powder’. Um, in general, normal folk don’t have that lying around and I am not spending €15 on Amazon buying it when I don’t even know if I even really need it 😮. My solution is this, a couple of drops of black food colouring if you reeeeeealy need black Keto Oreos. Otherwise, regular cocoa works a treat with these!
Each of my ‘oreos’ is 1g of carbs and I can easily justify eating 8 of them. I mean by comparison, a regular Oreo has 9g of carbs in one cookie. So technically eating 8 Keto Oreo Cookies is still less than one regular Oreo 🤣
Give them a try!
- Start off by creaming butter and sweetener in a mixer for about 5 minutes until really smooth and creamy.
- Next, in a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter mix and combine (add the food colouring drops at this point if using)
- Then slowly add in a small bit of the dry ingredients at a time until it is all combined.
- Form the dough into a disc and wrap in cling. Chill for minimum an hour but preferably longer as it will be easier to roll them out.
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350F.
- Next, roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment to avoid a sticky mess.
- Cut out the Oreos using a round cutter. You should have 48 rounds in total to make 24 cookies.
- Then, place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow cool before attempting to fill with the cream. (sugar alcohols can take a bit to fully harden)
- Lastly, fill with the buttercream once cooled (mix the softened butter with the powdered sweetener and vanilla until creamy)
Try not to eat them all 😆
This recipe makes 24 Oreos and the whole batch is 24g of carbs 😵